2/21/2011 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $250,000 Gift by Brigadier General Heidi Brown to Establish the William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning
Former Ft. Bliss Commander Heidi Brown, now assigned to the Pentagon, made a $250,000 gift to the University Medical Center Foundation’s Children’s Hospital Fund to name the Pediatric Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning in honor of her parents William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown.
The William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning will be located near Pediatric Rehab in the basement of the new El Paso Children’s Hospital.
This funding will focus on:
• Follow-up care for children and youth with hearing loss
• A center of excellence for development and learning for children of El Paso
• Providing a developmental home for the indigent children in our care for whom timely follow-up care may make the difference in success in life.
• Enhanced training and preparation of pediatric residents to increase their awareness of childhood hearing loss and its related disorders so it is incorporated into their professional practice.
El Paso statistics twice as high as the nation
Of every 1,000 infants in Texas, an estimated three are born with significant hearing loss and many more are born with milder hearing loss. 97% of those are born into hearing families. By age 18, approximately 17 in 1,000 children have a hearing problem that would likely benefit from early identification and intervention. Reports indicate that the incidence of hearing loss in El Paso is double the state/national average.
75% identified are not receiving follow-up care
Mandated newborn hearing screening is identifying children with hearing loss. However, in El Paso, it is estimated that as many as 75% of those identified are not receiving developmental follow-up intervention, resulting in a loss of critical months crucial to the normal cognitive skill development of speech and language – months that are gone forever. Any degree of hearing loss can be educationally handicapping for children often resulting in difficulties later in life, including problems with listening and speaking skills, literacy skills, academic performance, and long-term job opportunities.
For more information contact Dennece Knight, Executive Director of University Medical Center Foundation
- 12/02/13 Maya Angelou To Be Featured Speaker At El Paso Children's 2014 Milagro Gala
- 11/27/13 COSTCO Donated $14,266.00 to Children's Miracle Network
- 11/25/13 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $40,000 Grant From Bank of America Foundation
- 10/23/13 "The Perfect Turnover” Raises Over $200,000 To Benefit El Paso Children's Hospital
- 10/08/13 UMC Foundation Receives $5000 from Shamaley Ford
- 11/09/11 UMC Foundation Wins National Children's Miracle Network Award
- 6/28/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces Grant from Walter H. Hightower Foundation to Provide Orthopedic Surgical Table for El Paso Children's Hospital
- 6/23/11 UMC Foundation Receives $1 Million Dolllar Gift from James A. "Buddy" Davidson Foundation to Benefit El Paso Children's Hospital
- 6/09/11 Junior League of El Paso, Inc. Gives $100,000 to Family Resource Center of El Paso Children's Hospital
- 5/25/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $25,000 Grant to Benefit "Sobreviviendo Cancer" Program From Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- 5/04/11 Mariachis, Margaritas & Meriendas
- 4/21/11 Fun and Poison Prevention at the El Paso Zoo
- 3/29/11 UMC Foundation Announces $5,000 Grant From McKee Foundation
- 3/29/11 West Texas Regional Poison Control Make Learning Poison Safety Fun at the El Paso Zoo
- 2/25/11 El Paso Veterans Donate Bingo Cash to Children's Miracle Network
- 2/21/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $250,000 Gift by Brigadier General Heidi Brown to Establish the William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning
- 2/02/11 Area High School Students will Dance for Those Who Can't to Benefit Children's Miracle Network Dance Marathon 2011
- 1/25/11 Edward James Olmos Keynote Speaker for First El Paso Children's Hospital Gala
- 1/19/11 Southwest Airlines "Share the Spirit" Grant to University Medical Center Foundation to Provide Transportation to Cancer Patients