4/21/2011 Fun and Poison Prevention at the El Paso Zoo
West Texas Regional Poison Center hosted the 17th Annual Jungle Safari held at the El Paso Zoo. Nearly 3000 people learned how to be poison safe and prevent accidental poisonings. One out of every 180 two-year-olds in the United States visits an emergency department for a medication poisoning. West Texas Region Poison Center receives over 100 calls a day, situations that are preventable if you take the necessary measures.
Poison education stations were set up throughout the zoo to teach kids about the dangers of household products, bites and stings, medication safety, drugs of abuse, environmental poisoning, and poisonous plants. They also answered questions for parents on what they should do in case of an emergency.
“Jungle Safari allowed the children and families of El Paso to learn great information and have fun”, said Christina Aragon, Outreach Coordinator for the UMC Foundation. Parents and children were able to enjoy face painting, dancing Chinese dragon, and the exhibits at the zoo.
The National Safety Council said approximately 50% of poisonings involve children under six years of age, and most of these poisonings involved common substances found in the home. The best thing you can do in this situation is to immediately call the Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222, a hotline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in English and Spanish.
- 5/02/13 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $30,000 Grant From The Susan G. Komen Foundation For Sobreviviendo El Cancer De Seno Program
- 5/02/13 UMC Foundation Awarded $95,000 Grant From The Marsh Foundation To Purchase Halo System To Treat Patients With Esophageal Cancer
- 5/02/13 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $343,422 Grant From Medcares To Support El Paso Children's Hospital Child Abuse Clinic.
- 3/20/13 $40,000 Gift To Be Presented To Dr. Bradley Furhman, Physician-In-Chief At El Paso Children's Hospital
- 2/28/13 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $3,000 Grant From Shiloff Foundation
- 11/09/11 UMC Foundation Wins National Children's Miracle Network Award
- 6/28/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces Grant from Walter H. Hightower Foundation to Provide Orthopedic Surgical Table for El Paso Children's Hospital
- 6/23/11 UMC Foundation Receives $1 Million Dolllar Gift from James A. "Buddy" Davidson Foundation to Benefit El Paso Children's Hospital
- 6/09/11 Junior League of El Paso, Inc. Gives $100,000 to Family Resource Center of El Paso Children's Hospital
- 5/25/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $25,000 Grant to Benefit "Sobreviviendo Cancer" Program From Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- 5/04/11 Mariachis, Margaritas & Meriendas
- 4/21/11 Fun and Poison Prevention at the El Paso Zoo
- 3/29/11 UMC Foundation Announces $5,000 Grant From McKee Foundation
- 3/29/11 West Texas Regional Poison Control Make Learning Poison Safety Fun at the El Paso Zoo
- 2/25/11 El Paso Veterans Donate Bingo Cash to Children's Miracle Network
- 2/21/11 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $250,000 Gift by Brigadier General Heidi Brown to Establish the William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning
- 2/02/11 Area High School Students will Dance for Those Who Can't to Benefit Children's Miracle Network Dance Marathon 2011
- 1/25/11 Edward James Olmos Keynote Speaker for First El Paso Children's Hospital Gala
- 1/19/11 Southwest Airlines "Share the Spirit" Grant to University Medical Center Foundation to Provide Transportation to Cancer Patients