6/13/2012 Brigadier General Heidi Brown Gives $250,000 Gift to Establish the William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning
Former Ft. Bliss Commander Heidi Brown made a $250,000 gift to the University Medical Center Foundation’s Children’s Hospital Fund to name the Pediatric Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning in honor of her parents William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown.
The William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning will focus on follow-up care for children with hearing loss, and will provide a developmental home for the indigent children in our care for whom timely follow-up care may make the difference in success in life. It will also help enhance training and preparation of pediatric residents to increase their awareness of childhood hearing loss and its related disorders so it is incorporated into their professional practice.
Of every 1,000 infants in Texas, an estimated three are born with significant hearing loss and many more are born with milder hearing loss, 97% of those are born into hearing families. By age 18, approximately 17 in 1,000 children have a hearing problem that would likely benefit from early identification and intervention. Reports show that the rate of hearing loss in El Paso is double the state and national average.
Mandated newborn hearing screenings identify children with hearing loss, but, in El Paso, it is estimated that as many as 75% of those identified are not receiving developmental follow-up intervention. This results in a loss of critical months crucial to the normal cognitive skill development of speech and language – months that are gone forever. Any degree of hearing loss can be educationally handicapping for children often resulting in difficulties later in life, including problems with listening and speaking skills, literacy skills, academic performance, and long-term job opportunities.
The William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning will be located near Pediatric Rehab in the basement of the new El Paso Children’s Hospital.
- 5/02/13 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $30,000 Grant From The Susan G. Komen Foundation For Sobreviviendo El Cancer De Seno Program
- 5/02/13 UMC Foundation Awarded $95,000 Grant From The Marsh Foundation To Purchase Halo System To Treat Patients With Esophageal Cancer
- 5/02/13 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $343,422 Grant From Medcares To Support El Paso Children's Hospital Child Abuse Clinic.
- 3/20/13 $40,000 Gift To Be Presented To Dr. Bradley Furhman, Physician-In-Chief At El Paso Children's Hospital
- 2/28/13 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $3,000 Grant From Shiloff Foundation
- 12/21/12 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $5,000 Grant From J.J. Smith Foundation For Sobreviviendo El Cancer Program
- 12/20/12 Madrid Family donates to Compassionate Care Program
- 12/20/12 Jingle Bell Rock Run 2012
- 12/20/12 Ashley DeHaro's Story
- 12/20/12 Luis Escamilla's Story
- 11/13/12 Even with Loss of Arm Alejandro's Smile is Bright
- 11/13/12 After Witnessing Birth Big Sister Decides to Work with Kids
- 11/12/12 UMC Foundation Seeks Volunteers as "Friends of the Forest"
- 11/12/12 Walgreens Stores in El Paso Raise More Than 14 Thousand To Benefit Children's Miracle Network
- 11/12/12 El Paso Children's Hospital Lifts Spirits on Halloween
- 11/12/12 Swallows Her Grandmother's Pills West Texas Regional Poison Control Saves Her
- 11/09/12 Bella's Story
- 10/23/12 University Medical Center Foundation Awarded $5,000 Grant From J.J. Smith Foundation For Sobreviviendo El Cancer Program
- 10/02/12 Children's Miracle Network Invites Gamers To Participate in 5th Annual Extra Life Game Marathon
- 9/25/12 UMC Foundation Receives Grants From The Robert E. and Evelyn McKee Foundation
- 9/12/12 UMC Foundation Receives $5,000 Grant From Union Pacific Foundation
- 9/04/12 Children's Miracle Network Receives $9,000
- 9/04/12 University Medical Center Foundation Announces $4,111 Grant From The Lula H. Mcafee Foundation
- 8/23/12 Children's Miracle Network and RE/MAX have named August an official "Month of Miracles"
- 8/21/12 University Medical Center Foundation announces $10,000 grant from The Hervey Foundation for Sobreviviendo El Cancer Program
- 8/08/12 Wal-Mart Store on Mesa Achieves 9th in nation for Children's Miracle Network Fundraising
- 7/31/12 University Medical Center Foundation receives $60K grant to purchase a C-Arm for El Paso Children's Hospital
- 6/14/12 Susan G. Komen Grants $30,000 to UMC's Sobreviviendo el Cancer de Seno/ Surviving Breast Cancer
- 6/13/12 Brigadier General Heidi Brown Gives $250,000 Gift to Establish the William G. and Virginia Maxwell Brown Center for Pediatric Audiology Development and Learning